Trip Profile Length of trip: 9 days Grade: Easy to Moderate Type of trek: Tea house/ Camping Trekking in the lower Solu-Khumbu, the heart of the land ofTour Details
- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
Length of trip: 9 days
Grade: Easy to Moderate
Type of trek: Tea house/ Camping
Trekking in the lower Solu-Khumbu, the heart of the land of the Sherpas, brings you the magnificent views of the high peaks in the region, but above all the immersion into the traditional Sherpa culture. If you want to learn about their lifestyle, architecture, their foremost monasteries and their way of life, you need to spend time in Solu, the lower of the two Sherpa regions.
Day 1: Arrival in Kathmandu International Airport and meet with our airport representative at the airport and transfer to Hotel by private car. Welcome drink and refreshment, relax. Stay Overnight in Hotel.
Day 2: Fly from Kathmandu to Phaplu 2470m, Early in the morning, pick up in your Hotel and transfer to domestic airport, flight from Kathmandu to Phaplu. Then, we will visit the surrounding hills and villages near the Phaplu airport. Stay overnight in Lodge.
Day 3: Trek from Phaplu to Ringmo 2700m/5 hours, In the morning after breakfast, we prepare our luggage and start our trek from our Lodge; our trail goes passing the terraced fields and small villages, along the Dudh Kund Stream. Then, we gradually 3 hours climb up through the dense forests. We will have our lunch on the way and after lunch, we ascend 2 hours trail until reaching Ringmo Village, a small Sherpa Village dotted with apple, peach and apricot orchards. We have short glimpse of Numbur Chuli and other snow-capped mountains. Stay overnight in Lodge.
Day 4: Hike to Traksindo-La 3070m and surrounding hill, In the morning after breakfast, we climb uphill to Traksindo-La, above the Ringmo, the trail climbs steeply through pine and rhododendron forest to a long mani wall in the hamlet of Pangma, where a signposted side trail branches north towards Dudh Kund (Milk Lake), a remote lake set at 4500m beneath the mountain wall of Numbur. Above the turn off, the trail climbs to a striking beehive stupa surrounding by mani walls, and on to a broad flat pass marked by a white chhorten and several wooden tea-houses at Traksindo-La. From this view point, we can see Mt. Numbur Chuli, the holy mountain of Solu Region and other snowy mountains. A few minutes beyond the pass, on the eastern side, the trail passes the isolated Traksindo Gompa, one of the largest and most impressive monasteries in the Solu Region. Set in a complex of monks’ cells, the monastery features fine murals and provides a home for 17 novices. Although parts of the monastery seem ancient, the gompa was actually founded in 1946 by a monk from Tengboche. We visit this ancient Gonpa and have a lunch there. After lunch, we back to same way through the pine and rhododendron forests until reaching Ringmo Village. Stay overnight in Lodge.
Day 5: Trek from Ringmo to Junbesi 2675m/6 hours, In the morning after breakfast, we climb down through the meadow for 20 minutes and cross over the suspension bridge. Then, the trail slowly ascends through the pine forest, heading to Salaung, which has a handful homely teahouse. From the village, there are sweeping views south towards Sallery and the Phaplu airstrip. Again, we continue our trail ascends through meadows and copses of pines until reaching ridge-top village of Phurteng. Compensation comes in the form of your first glimpse of Mt. Everest, tucked between the snowy crown of Thamserku, Kangtega, Kusumkangaru and Mera Peak. We will have a lunch there with viewing stunning mountains. After lunch, we make a steep, draining climb down into the trees, looping in and out of the side valleys that are used for grazing by herders from Junbesi. Finally, we reach in Junbesi Village after cross the wooden bridge. This sprawling village of large white houses with carved Tibetan-Style windows and overhanging eaves is set among scattered orchards above the Junbesi Khola. The lodges here make an excellent base for short treks to Tibetan Buddhist Monasteries in the surrounding valleys. Stay overnight in Lodge.
Day 6: Exploring the Junbesi Village and Buddhist Monastery, In the morning, after breakfast, we visit the surrounding hills and some Buddhist Monasteries. With its attractive lodges and bazzar atmosphere, Junbesi is a good place to take a rest day and there are some of interesting side walks to Buddhist Monasteries in the surrounding valleys. The valley of Junbesi Khola runs north towards Thubten Chholing Monastery, a huge Tibetan Buddhist Monastery founded by the revered Lama Trulsik Rinpoche, who fled to Nepal from Rongbuk Gompa in Tibet with a large group of Anis (Nuns) and monks in the 1960s. Since then, many more refugees have fled to Thubten Chholing en route to join the Dalai Lama at Dharamsala in India. The small monastic cells dotted around the hillside are reserved for private meditation by resident monks and nuns. The trail to Thupten chholing starts in front of the Junbesi Gompa and follows the west bank of the Junbesi Khola upstream past a Chhorten. Cross to the east bank by the power house at Mopung, and then climb the ridge to the Gompa. After visit the Monastery, we same way back to our Lodge. Stay overnight in Lodge.
Day 7: Trek from Junbesi to Phaplu 2470m/5 hours, Today is our last trek day, we start our trek after breakfast, and our trail leads down hills to reach Phaplu. We walk along the Junbesi Khola to join our main trail where the trail heads to Ringmo Village. We will have our lunch on the way, and then we continue our trail until reaching Phaplu. Stay overnight in Lodge.
Day 8: Fly from Phaplu to Kathmandu and transfer to Hotel. Early in the morning after breakfast, we fly back to Kathmandu and our car come to pick up us and transfer to Hotel.
Day 9: Final Departure depending on your schedule transfer to International Airport.
- Pick up & drop off at arrival and departure to/from Kathmandu Airport
- 2 nights Hotel accommodation in Kathmandu with breakfast
- Trekking Entry permit
- TIMS (Trekkers Information Management System)
- Breakfast, lunch & dinner during trek
- Accommodation during the trek
- Flight for you and guide to Kathmandu-Lukla- Kathmandu
- Road transportation
- Emergency rescue arrangement (Makes sure your insurance will cover it)
- Insurance for guide & porter that includes their emergency rescue
- Necessary equipment for guide & porter
- First aid kits
The cost includes:
- All airport and hotel transfers
- hotel in Kathmandu with breakfast,bed and guesthouse accommodation and full meal during the trek
- Farewell dinner
- All accommodation and meals during the trek
- A full day sightseeing tour in Kathmandu valley and entrance fees
- Domestic flights to and from Lukla and airport departure taxes
- An experienced trekking guide, assistant trek leader and porters to carry luggage (2 trekkers:1 porter) including their salary, insurance, equipment, flight, food and lodging
- Pure Vision Adventure duffel bag, and trekking map
- All necessary paper work and permits (National park permit, TIMS)
- A comprehensive medical kit
- All government and local taxes
Services not included:
- Meals in Kathmandu
- Hotel for more than 2 nights in Kathmandu
- Alcohol and any drinks on trek
- Hot shower and washing.
- Tips for guide and porter
- All expenses of a personal nature e.g. toilet paper, medicines, confectionery etc
- Nepal entry visa fee
The cost excludes:
- Nepal Visa fee (bring small denomination USD cash and two passport photographs)
- International airfare to and from Kathmandu
- Excess baggage charges
- Lunch and evening meals in Kathmandu
- Travel and rescue insurance
- Personal expenses (phone calls, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottle or boiled water, shower etc)
- Tips for guides and porters.